- Barracloughs Blog
Women's Eye Health
Ladies, are you concerned about your vision? Have you considered the health of your eyes recently? Did you know that more women than men suffer from common eye conditions? The majority of people are not aware of this statistic and may benefit from the following suggestions:
- Eat a balanced diet inclusive of vitamins A, C and E, often found in fruits and vegetables.
- Nutritional supplements can help boost your levels of vital vitamins. Those rich in lutein, zeaxanthin and omega-3 can rapidly slow down the progression of conditions such as AMD.
- Women also have to be visual of changes to their vision during pregnancy.
- Avoid smoking or being around those who smoke on a regular basis.
- All year round, wear sunglasses and a wide-brimmed hat outside to protect against harmful UV rays.
- Think about your family history. Is eye disease in your genes?
- Always be aware that eye make up can hold a lot of bacteria. When applying make up, use sparingly where possible, to avoid the blockage of tear ducts and the lacrimal sac. Always use clean make up brushes and wipes. Don't share eye liners and mascaras.
- If you're a contact lens wearer, follow the cleaning procedures as instructed by your optician to prevent damage to your eyes. This includes not over-wearing the same set of lenses. We recommend you wear glasses at least once a week to give your eyes a break.
- And of course... regular sight checks with your optician.