The importance of eye examinations
1. Eye tests can lead to the early detection of eye diseases
2. Eye exams can help disclose other medical disorders
Other diseases that eye exams can catch include the following:
- Thyroid problems
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Parkinson's disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Certain blood diseases
- High cholesterol
- Liver disease
3. Your eyes also age
This means that you also must take regular care of your eyes as an adult, not just in your childhood or teenage years. A good eye care routine includes attending routine eye tests. If you have risk factors such as a history of eye disease in the family, personal health conditions that are chronic, existing visual problems, or symptoms of potential eye strain, you will need more frequent eye tests. In their absence, most optometrists will recommend complete eye exams once every two years for adults.
4. Eye health is linked to brain health
One study published by the American Academy of Neurology showed that certain eye conditions, such as retinal damage from mild vascular disease, are linked to cognitive problems with thinking and memory². Also, our retinas (nerve tissues located at the back of our eyes) are, in reality, extensions of our brains3. As you can see, there exists a level of codependency between the two organs. Therefore, by protecting your eyes, you are also safeguarding the health of your brain.
Taking care of your eyes
2. Keep to the 20-20-20 rule
- Every 20 minutes, look away from your computer screen and fix your sights on an object 20 feet away.
- Blink successively for 20 times to keep your eyes lubricated.
- Every 20 minutes, get up from your sitting position and walk 20 steps to improve blood flow.
3. Eat a healthy diet
- Oily fish like salmon and mackerel
- Green leafy vegetables like kale and spinach
4. Stop touching your eyes
- Use a tissue when trying to adjust your glasses.
- You tend to touch your eyes when they're dry. Dryness can be reduced by using eye drops.
- If you really need to touch your eyes, wash your hands first with soap and water for about 20 seconds.